As a second time mom, I frequently get asked, “What was it like with your first?” Well, let me tell you – I was so overly consumed in mommyhood seven years ago, that I don’t really remember that much. Life was hard back then. I was still mastering diaper changes and insisted on toting around a huge diaper bag everywhere we went – even if it was just a quick trip to the store.
I rearranged every moment of our life based on nap time. I read all of the parenting books I could find. I deeply sanitized every binky which fell on the floor. I bought special laundry detergent and I even insisted on keeping all grownup laundry separate from any thing which would come in contact with the baby. It was exhausting and that is pretty much all I remember feeling – exhausted!
Here are a few things I have learned the second time around…..
1. Diaper bags are unnecessary unless you will be gone for more than 12 hours. When heading to the store – throw a few diapers, a onesie, and some wipes in your purse and hit the road! I always knot a muslin blanket around a purse strap and let it dangle too. The blanket can be used as a burp cloth, teething toy, nursing cover, changing pad, sun shade, and so much more – I never leave home without it! Aden and Anais Swaddling Blankets – my favorite!
2. Binkies and toys will fall on the floor. It’s a fact of life! Dust it off and hand it back to your little one – a speck of dirt never hurt anyone!
3. Make time to go on a date with your hubby – trust me! It is all too easy to get consumed in baby poop and spit up as a new mom. Make it a priority to comb your hair, put on a little mascara, and go out every once and a while – even if it is just for a quick ice cream cone. Date night pre-baby… not many date night pictures are taken these days, but they should be!
4. Speaking to point number 3 – Dry Shampoo! For those days when you don’t have time to wash, dry, and style your hair – simply spritz on a little dry shampoo and you are good to go! Suave Dry Spray Shampoo – just spray and go!
5. Using an outstanding maternity pillow – Believe me it really works! It helped me sleep at night with ease. My back pain lessened over time while using it.
6. The sleepless nights won’t go on forever. Eventually all bad sleepers learn to sleep in their own bed and no longer need middle of the night cuddle sessions – soak it in while it lasts!
7. Sometimes, life is going to get in the way and things are not going to get done – and that is okay! Put the laundry down and leave the dishes for tomorrow… enjoy the moments you have today. Babies grow up fast and years fly by – enjoy it!